prenuptial agreement with two red hearts
In the UK, February 7th – 14th is National Marriage week
7th February 2015
MacMillan Cancer Support logo
Macmillan Cancer Support
18th February 2015

If you want to appoint someone, such as a relative or close friend:-

  • to deal with your financial and property matters on your behalf, either immediately or in the future;
  • to make decisions about your personal welfare and medical matters should you later lose mental capacity

Then this should be done by means of a written document known as a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA).

It makes sense to take legal advice before deciding to proceed and to get a Solicitor to prepare the forms for you.  This will ensure that you are properly informed on all aspects of the matter and that the forms are correctly completed.  LPA’s also need to be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian before they can be used and your Solicitor can carry out the registration for you as well.

It is advisable to have LPA’s drawn up while you still have full mental capacity and are able to decide who you would like to act for you and what you would like them to do.  LPA’s do not have to come into force immediately, so they can be prepared in advance ready for use at a later date when authorised by you or when they are needed.

We can provide preliminary advice and guidance about appointing Attorneys to act on your behalf, and we can complete the documents and register them for you.

For further information please contact our Team on 01639 885261 or